[SI-LIST] Re: IPC-2152 trace current/temperature calculator

  • From: Jack Olson <pcbjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arjun Bingipur <arjun.bingipur@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:11:11 -0600

No, I created those charts myself, using the data in the new spec (which was
obtained from the Lockheed Martin and Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane
Division experiments)
The reason I created the "modifier" system is because the way the document
is laid out, you have to read all kinds of extra stuff (including the
Appendix!!!) just to get a decent result. The charts give you a starting
number, but then the text describes all kinds of things that can influence
the number. I tried to condense what was there into an introductory approach
to deriving a better answer than the historical charts could have ever
provided. It is the SIMPLEST, in other words.
I couldn't put too many charts in the article (and PCDesign magazine was
already complaining about the length!) so for example I showed how to use
the universal chart (based on 3oz copper) and modify the result for any
other copper
thickness to get a decent approximation, but of course you will NOT have to
do this if you have all of the temperature curve charts in the spec itself,
because it contains ALL the copper thicknesses for both internal and
external.

And maybe I don't have to say this, but there are other considerations that
may influence your result. For example, this data is provided for traces in
STILL AIR, and since most of our designs are in sealed housings these
numbers are good enough for us, but if you have designs with good air flow,
you may get better results with even smaller traces. On the other side of
the coin, if you use a specific distance to your nearest plane but your
nearest plane is chopped and split,
your results may vary. And finally, I didn't even address parallel traces at
ALL, and just about every design has those.

so...

To summarize I can only say
1) this is a better starting point than IPC has ever provided before
2) It is only an approximation, so add some derating "wiggle room"
3) You may need thermal simulation to prove your own results
4) get the spec, it contains much more than I could put into that little
article

(that's why I don't envy Doug the task of trying to make a calculator.
everything needs a disclaimer!)

http://pcdandf.com/cms/magazine/209/6850/

hope that helps,
Jack