[SI-LIST] Re: How to analyze jitter of data

  • From: "Tom Waschura" <tom_waschura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'si-list'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:42:21 -0800

As Rick suggested, there are other tools to analyze eye openings and various
types of jitter that may be preventing your system from communicating
properly.  Analysis techniques include decomposing the measured probability
density function of the transitions of your data stream into portions that
are due to random or deterministic causes.  This can be taken to many
extremes, but given that you are having a problem with a printed circuit
board, it may be as simple as the data dependent distortions due to the
lossy PCB traces.

Other companies, as well, have a lot of information to apply to your
problem.  I know of great work at Agilent using their DCA-type scopes,
LeCroy using their deep memory capture ability as well as at our company,
SyntheSys Research, using our BERTScope instrument.  There is also a lot of
information to be found at the various standards bodies having to do with
jitter effects of lossy cables or PCBs (including standards for Ethernet,
serial-ATA, PCI-express, fiber-channel, etc.).

Best Regards,

Tom Waschura,
SyntheSys Research, Inc.
www.synthesysresearch.com