[SI-LIST] How frequency effects L, C & Z

  • From: "Rich Peyton" <p2rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <steven.corey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:37:43 -0500

Snipped from TDR & line losses thread

<Steve -- Skin effect tends to decrease inductance as frequency =
increases.>

I started a new thread based on the below reply to another thread.  I'm =
little confused here--maybe Monday blues again?  Can someone steer me to
some info regarding the effects frequency has on overall L, C, & Z.  I =
see
that inductance decreases as frequency decreases which would be the =
opposite
for capacitance and then Z=3DsqrtL/C in a lot of my reference material.=20

But then I look at it physically from other reference material and get =
this:

1)Higher freq =3D skin effect =3D decreasing diameter of material (As =
lines are
made wider or thicker or shorter, the magnetic field is reduced and
inductance declines)  =3D higher L, which is opposite of above =
statement?

2)Higher freq =3D skin effect =3D decreasing diameter of material =
(decreasing
area of lines) =3D decreases C =20

So I did a quick search on google (Frequency vs Inductance) and got the
following:

I did not fully read these articles--just looked at graphs (not =
promoting
them, just using them for reference):

Pg 4 of 6 shows L increasing as Freq increases & C decreases
http://www.ctsystemes.com/zeland/publi/dg1030.pdf

Pg 8 of 10, graph # 6 shows L decreasing as Freq increases
http://www.asat.com/products/bg1002.pdf

Can someone set me straight on how increasing/decreasing frequency =
effects
the overall reading of L, C, & Z? =20

Reference on the web would be nice.

Thanks,