[SI-LIST] Re: High speed signal-return path

  • From: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: olaney@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:11:03 -0700 (PDT)

This is interesting and hopefully not too long winded and off the
track...........
Correct me if I have this wrong but current always attempts to return to its
source no matter what frequency we are talking about, if it does not then we
have a problem such as radiation in the path.  For AC signals the return or
image current is instantaneous to the traveling signal attempting to get back
to the source through any low inductance path.  This path may be the opposite
line for differential it may be as you pointed out power or ground or both.
However, there could be many hurdles for this return current, signal via's,
reference plane splits, and as you mentioned improper decoupling to name a few.

One of the issues on a board with a gnd/sig/gnd configuration is the potential
long return loop for single ended signals routed on this layer and potential
issues with any unbalanced common mode differential noise.  I will say that for
"ideal" differential with well balanced decoupling, and return vias the
gnd/sig/gnd works but ideal is not that easy.
-Jory

From: "olaney@xxxxxxxx"
  <olaney@xxxxxxxx>
From: "olaney@xxxxxxxx" <olaney@xxxxxxxx>