[SI-LIST] Help On High Speed Interconnections

  • From: "Giovanni Galiero" <galiero@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:08:29 +0100

Dear List,
I have a very limited knowledge about signal integrity and
I hope that You could give an help or suggestion on my problem.

I am involved in a project and I have to set up as soon as possible,
a prototype of the IF stage of the receiver of a radar.
The sampling frequency is 1 GHz and the channel to acquire are
two.
The ADC MAX104 EvKit seems to me to satisfy all the technical
specification I have and it could allow me to reach the goal: build
the prototype asap.
My plans are to interface,for each channel, the ADC Max104 Evkit
to a FPGA EvBoard to rapidly implement all the necessary logic on
an FPGA. I am worried about the interconnections between the two
EvBoards:
- The ouput on the MAX104EvKit is LVPECL differential with a 50
Ohm resistor to VTT for each line.
-  On the FPGA EvBoards there are 16 bit LVDS ( and LVPECL
compatible) differential receivers made by 50 Ohm stripline
terminated differentially with 100 Ohm resistor each, a 100Ohm
placed between the two lines (even the clock in line is differentially
terminated in the same way).
- Using the Demultiplexing Div2 Mode of MAX104, the Clock Out
will have a frequency of 500MHz and the output word  will be two
byte long.

Which termination scheme should I use to safely connect the Ev.
Boards?What are the right things to look for on these EvBoards to
connect them?

I wish avoid to build a two layers board to connect the two
evaluation boards made by 16*2=32 50 Ohm stripline
and I would prefer to use a cable to make this connection,
the headers on both the EvBoards are .1".
What are the characteristics of headers I have to worry about to
ensure a right connection at 500MHz of clock rate? Could You be
so kind to suggest me a cable useful to this purpose? On the
datasheet of the Ev.Board

Any suggestion and comment would be very appreciated.

Thank You very much for Your help.

Yours Sincerely

Giovanni Galiero
*******************************