[SI-LIST] Re: Guard Traces - Use 'Em, or Not?

  • From: "Lambert Simonovich" <bertsimonovich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Oh, Dan'" <doh@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <EMC-PSTC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'SI-LIST'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 14:59:07 -0400

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you found the data useful. I was trying to
keep impedance the same between stripline and ustrip for the same line width
and spacing to compare apples to apples, as well as get close to a
real-world practical example stackup. If we are concerned about microstrip
only, then you are right varying the height will show different results. The
key will be what knobs need to change to keep the same impedance. To
maintain 50 ohms, when the dielectric is increased, you will have to change
the track width to be wider, which means you also have to increase the
spacing between the aggressor and victim to fit the same width guard trace
in. If you keep the same geometry and merely increase the dielectric, then
the impedance will be higher, which will result in an overshoot to the
original aggressor step waveform for 2TD for 50 ohms. This overshoot will
also increase the NEXT and FEXT.

I agree it's an experiment to try and quantify. I have tried to show the
methodology, so designers can experiment on their own for their particular
case, and decide for themselves. If you add solder mask then that too will
affect the result. The scenarios are endless. It's fine to do the Physics
experiment, but, as you say, this might not be a typical conventional
microstrip configuration in modern designs.

I will try and do a follow-up for microstrip only as you suggest. Increasing
the dielectric to 15 mils and keeping the same 5-5-5 geometry.

BR/

Bert Simonovich, Consultant & Founder
LAMSIM Enterprises Inc.
"Innovative Signal Integrity and Backplane Solutions"
Email: lsimonovich_at_lamsimenterprises.com
Blog: http://blog.lamsimenterprises.com/
LinkedIN: http://www.linkedin.com/in/bertsimonovich
Web Site: http://lamsimenterprises.com/