[SI-LIST] Re: Grounding

  • From: "Andrew Ingraham" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 16:16:32 -0500

> I have an audio system at my apartment and whenever its in working mode
> and any other power appliances like lamp, fan, are switched ON, I used
> to hear a short bump noise. Yesterday I heared the same noise when
> another main switch which is outside my apartment ie in the parking area
> was pulled ON.
>
> Is this related to improper grounding in the apartment ...

That last line bothers me.  Are you saying you know there is something wrong
with the AC power wiring in your building?

If so, get it fixed right away!  This can be a severe safety (fire,
electrocution) hazard and must not be ignored.

> ... or the audio
> system's susceptibility to noise? and how is it possible for the second
> case to happen, is it so sensitive.

system may have little or no effect on its susceptibility to noise.  If the
switched device causes a power transient, grounding may not help.  If it
causes a bit of RF noise that gets picked up, grounding may help but might
not.

For a typical audio system, the components do need to be "grounded" (i.e.,
connected) *together* or they will be susceptible to noise pops as well as
all sorts of other hums and buzzes all the time; but connecting the entire
system to a "ground" often does not help.

Regards,
Andy

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: