[SI-LIST] Gigabit Ethernet Magnetics

  • From: "SI List" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:30:00 +0100

Hello all!

I have two questions about 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet Magnetics:

1) Transformer configuration
----------------------------
There are at least 3 configurations which are commonly used. Some use
one, two or even three transformers per pair.

Is it a price/performance trade-off?

Which configuration should be used in which application? My application
would be a Gigabit Ethernet switch. I couldn't find this information
from the manufacturers.

2) Transformerless Ethernet
---------------------------
Why is a transformer actually required?

I have read information that AC coupling with a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor
also works (as in Fiber Channel, Infiniband, etc.).

The only reason I can see is the 1500V isolation. Is this a regulatory
requirement? Why is this requirement not imposed on Infiniband, etc.?

I am new to this field. Any information is appreciated.

Is there a good book, or papers, or web pages which would be helpful to
me?

Best regards,
  Martin

--
Enclustra GmbH                   Email: heimlicher // enclustra \\ com
Martin Heimlicher                Phone: +41 43 3431943

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: