[SI-LIST] Re: Getting Hspice to accept numbers with mantissa' s larger than 8 characters

  • From: "Zabinski, Patrick J." <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 14:07:55 -0500

Taha,

Not sure if this will actually work or not (and
not sure how I could validate it did work or fail),
but could you work around the input limitation
by adding a few numbers together?

For example:

     R1 n1 n2 res_value
     .PARAM res1=6.838495e2
     .PARAM res2=9.039344e-5
     .PARAM res_value='res1 + res2'

Alternatively:

     Ra1 n1 na 6.838495e2
     Rb1 na n2 2=9.039344e-5

Assuming the input is limited to single-precision
and the internals are truly double-precision,
would this approach work?  Or, would numerical
round off during input-conversion kill it?

Pat

> Thanks for the response,
>
> Your analysis of the validity of my question is absolutely correct.
>
> My reasons for trying to get hspice to accept a double precision
> constant is actually to try and debug an algorithm that I am
> implementing.
>
> This algorithm has two transformation matrices (that are multiplied
> toghether)  and I have noted that when I implement only one of these
> transformation matrices, I get a correct simulation.
>
> The problems arise when I try to implement the product of these two
> transformation matrices and these problems range from an incorrect
> simulation to a 'time step too small' error. I have ruled out the
> obvious errors (i.e. the matrices are incorrect) by prototyping this
> algorithm in circuit simulator that I have written.
>
> Given all this, I was hoping that the source of the problem was that I
> am giving hspice single precision numbers whilst my 'homemade' circuit
> simulator is fed double precision numbers.
>
> By the way, Synopsys has switched to double precision numbers in the
> simulation engine, however, it appears that they only read in single
> precision numbers from the input spice file by default.
>
> Thanks once again,
>
> Sincerely,

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: