[SI-LIST] Fwd: GND vs Power as reference

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 20:33:02 -0400

Jeff
 Placing a signal on a power layer implies changing reference layers in
most every case, otherwise, how do you end up on that layer in the first
place?  Measuring a power plane referenced signal with external equipment
or probes requires a discontinuous return path from ground to power,
otherwise, what is the point?  There are multiple places where this
reference change can occur, here are just a few.

1) going from a PCB through a connector, such as a PCIe connector where
signals passing through the connector are ground referenced.

2) going from a ground referenced package to a power referenced trace on a
PCB.

3) going from a power referenced microstrip through vias to a ground
referenced stripline.

4) going from ground referenced microstrip through vias to a power
referenced microstrip or stripline.

5) going from ground referenced microstrip through vias to a power/ground
referenced stripline.

6) going from a ground referenced die to a power referenced microstrip or
stripline.

7) going through a connector where one board has traces referenced to power
and the other has traces referenced to ground.

etc ...

In all of these cases there is a discontinuous instantaneous ground return
path.  In all of these cases higher crosstalk occurs.  In all of these
cases uncontrolled resonances will most definitely occur.  Whether these
cause system issues is a matter of geometry, magnitude, and containment.

regards,

Scott

--

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
16 Stormy Brook Rd
Falmouth, ME 04105

(401) 284-1827 Business

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

--

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
16 Stormy Brook Rd
Falmouth, ME 04105

(401) 284-1827 Business

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: