[SI-LIST] Re: Frequency components of high speed serial channels

  • From: "Orin Laney" <olaney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mrose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <orphanou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Peter.Pupalaikis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:08:18 -0800

The highest fundamental frequency you can generate with an NRZ signal
(output of your standard logic gate) amounts to transmitting alternating
ones and zeros.  This frequency equals half the clock rate.  Then, you need
at least the third harmonic of the 101010... square wave at the far end to
approximate the squareness.  This peaks at 3/2 of the clock rate, so the
first spectral two lobes contain most of the signal energy.  Adding more
lobes increases squareness, which is to say rise and fall times get shorter,
but this amounts to rapidly diminishing returns beyond the point where rise
and fall times are already satisfactory.  So, the bandwidth of your signal
as generated is often rather wider than is actually required at the
receiving end.

The practical limit on bandwidth occurs when increasing it admits more
additional noise (thermal, crosstalk, EMI, et al) than additional signal.
Coding methods far more efficient than NRZ are used for noisy channels.

The spectrum has nulls at integer multiples of the clock rate, so placing
your filter cutoff at a null minimizes waveform distortion from roll-off
effects.  Bessel filters are preferred for time domain waveforms, not that I
haven't seen designers use Butterworth because it's the only kind they
understand and know how to design.  Then they wonder why the output rings.

Orin