[SI-LIST] Re: Estimating Crosstalk

  • From: "Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 10:18:09 -0800

Dear Mark et. al.,

For those of you interested in the fine details, here are a few notes about
the "crosstalk estimation" formula 1/(1+(d/h)^2)) [Eq. 1].

Before I jump into the details, let me say that the greatest strength of
[Eq. 1], and the reason I included it in my first book, is that it depicts
crosstalk as a very steep function of lateral separation. As soon as the
separation distance d exceeds h, the term "1" in the denominator becomes
insignificant, and the whole distribution simplifies to 1/(d^^2). That means
that a 10% increase in d produces a 20% reduction in crosstalk. Doubling d
cuts crosstalk by a factor of four. That's terrific! Lateral separation over
a solid reference plane is an extremely effective means of combating
crosstalk. A little more spacing means a lot less crosstalk. This rule cuts
the other way, too. Place your traces a little too close, and crosstalk
skyrockets. Designers interested in maximum layout density (= fewest layers)
should use a 2-D field solver to estimate crosstalk. That's more accurate
than any simple, order-of-magnitude approximation.

DETAILED NOTES:

1) The *shape* of the crosstalk function given in Equation 1 is
asymptotically exact only for a very small, skinny wire (W<<H) in a
microstrip configuration.

2) Equation 1 works for an offset stripline only if the stripline height h
(=height above the lower plane) is much smaller than the total stripline
cavity height b (=total height between upper and lower reference planes). In
that case, [Eq. 1] kind of works when separation d lies between h and b, but
after that, for d larger than b, the crosstalk plummets exponentially, as
reported by other commentors.

2) To the extent that [Eq. 1] works, it does so because it models
(partially) the distribution of returning signal current underneath a skinny
microstrip trace.

3) A more complete model of the distribution of returning signal current
underneath a skinny microstrip trace includes a constant of proportionality.
That constant equals (I0/(pi*h)), where I0 is the trace current, pi equals
3.1415926... and h is the trace height above the plane.  Integrate that
expression over all values of d and you should (hopefully) get the total
returning signal current, I0.

4) The distribution of current generally underneath a trace, including the
constant of proportionality, is discussed in this article:
"Proximity Effect III", www.sigcon.com/Pubs/news/4_8.htm ,
and in this writeup:   http://www.sigcon.com/vault/pdf/4_8_Proximity3.pdf

5) The connection between return-current distribution and crosstalk works
like this, a) a signal trace carries signal current, b) that creates
magnetic fields, c) which interact with the reference plane, d) causing eddy
currents, e) whose strength is determined by Maxwell's equations, f) and
which are modelled reasonably well, for microstrips, by [Eq. 1]. The
distribution of eddy currents (that's what returning signal current is)
gives the distribution of magnetic field strength at all points near the
reference plane, and the local magnetic field strength determines crosstalk.
This is another way of saying that [Eq. 1] models the mutual indutance
between two microstrip traces.

6) There is also a mutual capacitive crosstalk, due to electric-field
effects. If the traces are long compared to the signal rise or fall time
(that's what Istvan calls "fully saturated"), and if they are embedded in a
homogeneous dielectric material (microstrips aren't quite like this, but
they are close), then the mutual inductive and mutual capacitance terms have
the same magnitude. Therefore, you needn't model both -- you can just look
at one or the other. I chose to look at the inductive effect because,
mathematically, I was able to figure out how it worked.

7) In a practical microstrip, the mutual inductive and mutual capacitance
terms have nearly the same magnitude, but may have opposite polarities. In
the forward direction (far-end crosstalk) the two terms nearly cancel each
other. In the reverse direction (near-end crosstalk) the two terms
reinforce. Whichever direction crosstalk gets started, it may bounce off one
or more endpoints, creating a complex waveform. Obviously, [Eq. 1] models
none of this. That's another good reason to use a crosstalk simulator.

8) When a trace is short compared to the signal risetime, crosstalk is less.
When the trace length is less than 1/2 of the signal rise or fall time the
derating factor equals (2)*(trace length)/(signal rise time) -- always less
than one. When the trace length exceeds 1/2 of the signal rise or fall time,
the derating factor equals one (that's the "fully saturated" case).

9) A full mathematical analysis of crosstalk must first determine the signal
current, then estimate the complete distribution of return current
underneath a trace, and then properly convert that to a magnetic-field
intensity, and convert the magnetic field intensity into a received
crosstalk signal. That's a lot of steps, and at each stage there are
*assumptions* built into a good model. When I created the simple model [Eq.
1] I short-circuited all the calculations by simply reasoning that, in the
worst case, the crosstalk is not likely to exceed the size of the source
signal. That established a coefficient of one ("1") in the numerator of [Eq.
1].

10) Here's a wonderful experiment. Configure two long, 50-ohm traces
side-by-side. Measure the crosstalk. Now, change the width of the aggressor
trace, making it 100 ohms. With long traces, given the same driver, the
initial signal current is now only HALF as strong as before, reducing
mutual-inductive crosstalk by a factor of two. NOTE THAT [EQ. 1] DOES NOT
MODEL THE TRACE IMPEDANCES.

11) This time, configure two short, 50-ohm traces side-by-side. Drive the
aggressor with a powerful, low-impedance driver and load the far end of the
trace with a huge capacitive load. This circuit draws a gigantic surge of
current on each edge, making crosstalk to other traces wildly exceed the
limit suggested by [Eq. 1] and the de-rating factor. NOTE THAT [EQ. 1] DOES
NOT MODEL SOURCE AND LOAD IMPEDANCE EFFECTS, OR DIRECTIONALITY.

So, with all these foibles, what is the value of [Eq. 1]? I like it because
it reminds me, in a simple and straightforward way, that crosstalk varies
strongly with distance, approximately quadratically for microstrips and even
faster for striplines.

If you want accuracy, get a crosstalk simulator.

Best regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson, Signal Consulting Inc.,
tel +1 509-997-0750,  howie03@xxxxxxxxxx
www.sigcon.com -- High-Speed Digital Design seminars, publications and films