[SI-LIST] Re: Error in HSPICE

  • From: "Ingraham, Andrew" <Andrew.Ingraham@xxxxxx>
  • To: "si_list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 08:44:05 -0500

> Hi! In my spice deck I had calls for two encrypted
> driver & receiver. When I run the sim, it gives me
> error: 'above line attempts to redefine nch' and
> similar error for pch. I know this could be due to the
> same nodes being called in the encrypted models.

It is probably not the same nodes.  SPICE wouldn't have a problem with
that.  It is probably duplicate transistor model definitions:

.MODEL NCH NMOS ...

... and later, another one:

.MODEL NCH NMOS ...

> What is the workaround for this?

Unless one of the .model definitions is your own (outside the encrypted
portions), contact whoever is responsible for the encrypted models and
ask them to change one or both model names to something less generic.
Or be more blunt and remind them they made a big mistake by creating two
encrypted models that both define the same transistor models (rather
than putting the .MODEL definitions into a third encrypted file that
gets loaded as needed by the driver and receiver models).

Or do what Craig Clewell suggested and see if you can split your
simulation into two parts that run separately.  Since many simulations
depend on the nonlinear interaction between driver and receiver, this
might be less than satisfactory.

(I forget whether encapsulating the encrypted models into subcircuits is
another way to avoid this problem, by limiting the "scope" of each model
definition.  I think it doesn't, in the case of .MODEL statements.)

Regards,
Andy

List archives are viewable at: