[SI-LIST] Re: Er range of FR4

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Zanella, Fabrizio" <fzanella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx, Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:06:49 -0700

As someone pointed out, the Nelco web site has good data on all of the
materials they produce ranging from the stuff we call FR-4 to 4000-13SI.
The er varies with both glass to resin ratio and frequency.  I have
attached a spreadsheet for what is called HiTg Fr-4.  Notice that for 4
mils of thickness there are three possible choices with a significant
spread in er.  For this reason, the stackup needs to call out which
formulation (glass to resin ratio) is to be used.
When I design stackups, I work with the engineering department of my chosen
fabricators and we work out the optimum combination of thicknesses and
glass to resin ratios.  Once we agree, these are specified on the
fabrication drawing and are no longer negotiable.

A subtle problem with PCBs that have GB+ signalling is the potential for
jitter resulting from the use of large glass weave fibers that cause the er
to vary across a given layer.  Several people have studied this and some
papers have been written on it.  I believe engineers at Intel have reported
on it and someone indicated that they would present a paper on it at
Designcon.

Lee W. Ritchey
Speeding Edge
P. O. Box 2194
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
Phone- 707-568-3983
FAX-    707-568-3504

I just used the energy it took to be angry to write some blues.
Count Basie

-- Type: application/vnd.ms-excel
-- File: NelcoFR4Data.xls
-- Desc: NelcoFR4Data.xls