[SI-LIST] Re: Equations for creating twisted pair transmission lines?

  • From: Juliusz Poltz <jpoltz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tom_cip_11551@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 19:09:31 -0600

Hi Tom, Russell and Scott,

We actually have been modeling 4 pair cables, each with different twist
rates, bundle-lay and shields and correlating it with measurement data for
the last 4 years. Although just recently we started looking into tolerance
and manufacturing variations, we presented papers with our customers and
published some of the correlation data based on ideal manufacturing
conditions at the International Wire and Cable Symposium (IWCS 2000-2004).
Automated creation of the geometrical model that is physically similar to
the cable was difficult - but doable. Simulation results of Characteristic
Impedance, speed of propagation, attenuation, NEXT, FEXT and return loss
match the measurement data very well - if the manufacturing process is well
controlled. Although the software calculates S-parameters through chain
parameters it also allows the user to create Spice models (including
w-models).

Best regards

Juliusz Poltz" <jpoltz@xxxxxxxxx>
OptEM Engineering Inc.               Ph: (403) 289-0499
Suite 453                                     Fax: (403) 282-1238
3553 - 31st Street N.W.        Web page: www.optem.com
Calgary, AB  Canada  T2L 2K7