[SI-LIST] Re: Effects of solder layer on exposed traces

  • From: "Ing. Giancarlo Guida" <gianguida@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: mcdevitts@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 07:58:25 -0100

Hi Sean,
you can very easily take in account thie effect of this extra layer of
dielectrics on the performances
of  your patch antenna
by using an EM simulator.

I work with ADF EMS a simulator produced by my company IDS (www.ids-spa.it)
but we do not have a student version at the moment.

You amy find very useful student version from many Vendor
I am sure Ansot and Sonnet have student version free to download

Hope this helps
Giancarlo

Sean McDevitt ha scritto:
> My question is in reference to previous posts that asked about the
> effects of solder mask (or silkscreen) on the impedance of lines for
> high frequency ( >2 GHz) lines.  The general consensus I took was that
> solder mask could greatly effect the expected impedance of the traces
> as another dielectric is introduced.
>
> In my application we have etched antennas on a 60mil FR4 board.=20
> Normally, I have made antennas in house using a simple acid etch bath
> (crude but effective).  However, when we order boards from a PCB
> house, any exposed traces are normally covered in a layer of solder
> (including our antennas, but there is no soldermask on the antennas).
>
> Now given that solder is not copper and thus it will have different
> electrical properties, how will this effect the expected performance
> of the board, and will it be a noticeable effect?
>
> Regards,
> Sean McDevitt
> Student
> University of Colorado - Boulder