[SI-LIST] Effects of number of windings on ferrite core

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:23:41 -0700

Hi Everyone,

Its that time of the month again and I have been taking data and
writing. This I am comparing single and multiple turn ferrites. This
month's Technical Tidbit on my website discusses characteristics of
ferrite cores with single or multiple turn windings and the conditions
where each performs best based upon measured data.

Although the case discussed is the effect of a ferrite core on ESD
current, an EMC topic, the general principle presented would apply to
the impedance presented by any magnetic core with a winding. An ESD
current is a good example to use because the same waveform contains
easily identifiable high and low frequency components. By observing
what happens to these components in the time domain, the effects of
the core can be understood.

Abstract: Ferrite chokes are often used to reduce currents due to ESD
and to provide series impedance to suppress common mode currents that
can cause EMC emissions problems. Data is presented to show how an ESD
current is affected by single pass and multiple turn ferrite chokes.
The data is extended to predict how the chokes affect EMC emissions.
Recommendations are inferred from the data as to when to use single
pass or multiple turn windings on ferrite cores.

The link to the article is the picture of the experimental test setup
at the bottom of the home page at http://emcesd.com .
     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: