[SI-LIST] Re: Effect of contact resistance on high frequency signals

  • From: boris.traa@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:16:04 +0100

Kind regards
Boris Traa

System design engineer EMC

Philips Semiconductors BV, dep. SLE
Location A320/301
PObox 80021, 5600JZ
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Tel: ++ 31 40 27 22249
Fax: ++ 31 40 27 23238
E-mail:  boris.traa@xxxxxxxxxxxx Seri: btraa@nlsce1
----- Forwarded by Boris Traa/EHV/SC/PHILIPS on 13-11-2002 11:16 -----

                      Boris Traa

                                                   To:
KaiKeskinen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      13-11-2002 11:15             cc:

                                                   Subject:   Re: [SI-LIST]
Effect of contact resistance on high frequency signals(Document link: Boris
                                                    Traa)

                                                   Classification:
Unclassified

Pushing  pieces of metal tightly together (e.g. a metal shield contact finger
and a PCB copper pad) always lead to a lower EMI reduction than a few soldered
contacts. Until now I could not find an explanation. It is just like contact
potentials are
generated due to a contact between 2 different materials (iron and copper) and
as such a kind threshold voltage is present that has to be exceeded before
conductioncan start.   An electric DC motor also suffers from these contact
potentials at the rotor
contacts. This transition acts as a diode.
So I'm also very eager to understand the mystery of contact resistance.

Kind regards
Boris Traa

System design engineer EMC

Philips Semiconductors BV, dep. SLE
Location A320/301
PObox 80021, 5600JZ
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Tel: ++ 31 40 27 22249
Fax: ++ 31 40 27 23238
E-mail:  boris.traa@xxxxxxxxxxxx Seri: btraa@nlsce1

                      "Keskinen, Kai"

                      <KaiKeskinen@sole             To:  si-list
<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      ctron.com>                    cc:  (bcc: Boris
Traa/EHV/SC/PHILIPS)

                      Sent by:                      Subject:   [SI-LIST] Effect
of contact resistance on high frequency signals
                      si-list-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org                   Classification:

                      12-11-2002 20:09

                      Please respond to

                      KaiKeskinen

Does anyone out there have any links or papers related to the effect of
degrading contact resistance on high frequency signals (i.e. 622Mbps and
above)?

All the info I can dig up on contact resistance is basically at DC.

What happens to your high speed signals when all the gold has been scraped
off the board or backplane connector pin on the 201st or 400th or 1000th
insertion?

Thanks,

Kai Keskinen
Signal Integrity Advisor
Solectron Technical Center
425 Legget Drive,
Kanata, ON K2K 2W2
kaikeskinen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.solectron.com
> "This message may contain information proprietary to Solectron so any
unauthorized disclosure, copying or distribution of its contents is strictly
prohibited."