[SI-LIST] Effect of Epoxies on Ethernet Magnetics

  • From: Krunal Desai <movax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 18:10:52 -0700

Hi all --

Please let me know if there's a better place to ask this question, but
I figured someone here might have run into this before.

I have an application that is in a very tough vibration / shock
environment, and I've got the Pulse HX1188FNL in my design -- a
single-port, non-PoE, 100Mbit Ethernet transformer. Looking at the
part, there's some kind of basic epoxy holding the cores in place, but
my mechanical folks and myself would feel more comfortable if we could
just fill the rest of the space with epoxy and essentially pot the
transformer cores.

100Mbit is fairly "slow", but I was wondering if the addition of epoxy
fill to the part would affect the dielectric / gapping of the
transformer considerably enough to affect performance of a 100Mbit
Ethernet link.

We have a list of candidate epoxies, but as a first-order question,
will the addition of /any/ epoxy-like material affect SI performance
to the point of making it unusable?

Thanks!

--khd

List forum is accessible at: