[SI-LIST] Re: ESD protection devices

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nigel.hughes@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:44:30 -0700

Nigel, varistors have the slowest response of available devices as they
have always been fairly inductive.  Varistors also have traditionally had
the least well controlled hold and breakdown voltage tolerances.  General
purpose zeners have a soft VI curve, and limited energy handling
capacity.  Transzorb type devices are the most expensive but handle high
energy surges, have comparatively very flat VI curves, low inductance, but
alas higher prices.  Vendors have device performance curves and lots of
application notes.

At 09:30 AM 10/14/2003 +0100, Nigel Hughes wrote:
>Hello Forum,
>
>I am trying to compare and evaluate ESD protection devices.  According to
>the device physics, what are the things that limit the speed at which a
>zener or varistor responds?  I have heard previously that a varistor
>responds quicker but read that the device itself is damaged when an ESD
>event passes through it.  However others say that with the new multi-layer
>structure of surface mount devices, the damage is negligible (if occurring
>at all).  Has anybody got a better perspective of what the truth actually
>is.  A bit of background supporting information would be helpful.
>
>Thanks,
>Nigel.

>O O O Nigel Hughes                      Tel +44 1763 266266
>O O O Terminals                 Fax +44 1763 261216
>O O O TTPCom Ltd.
>           Melbourn Science Park, Cambridge Rd., Melbourn, Royston, Herts
>SG8 6HQ UK
>           nigel.hughes@xxxxxxxxxx

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help: