[SI-LIST] Re: ESD on USB Connector Shield

  • From: "Pommerenke, David" <davidjp@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Erin.McPhalen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Pradeep.RSA@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:12:07 -0500

Hi Pradeep,

Please let me add my thoughts on this, as my main research area are
upsets in digital systems caused by ESD. I will comment on the RF
components that cause the disturbance and on how to exactly locate the
traces that are disturbed, forcing you system to reboot.

One should not overlook the transient fields caused by ESD generators',
it is a simplification to only look at the injected current of an ESD
generator.

Normally, the transient fields contain much stronger RF components,
relative to the injected current, (see
http://web.umr.edu/~davidjp/paper/01362865.pdf
fig. 1 for an explanation of the reasons).

The RF components reach many GHz. While most ESD generators inject
somewhat similar currents there are very large differences between ESD
generators' transient fields.  The strength of the RF depends on which
brand ESD generator you use. The currents and the fields (guided by
metallic surfaces) will enter your system at gaps around the USB
connector and cause surface currents on the boards, voltages between
"grounds" etc. inducing narrow pulses on many different traces and wires
within your system.

Please check the following paper to obtain an impression on the
transient fields and the variations between generators.

http://web.umr.edu/~davidjp/publications.html

Paper:   Characterization of human metal ESD reference discharge event
and  =20
         correlation of generator parameters to failure levels-part II:=20
         correlation of generator parameters to failure levels

         Kai Wang; Pommerenke, D.; Chundru, R.; Van Doren, T.; Centola,=20
         F.P.; Jiu Sheng Huang;
         Electromagnetic Compatibility, IEEE Transactions on
         Volume 46,  Issue 4,  Nov. 2004 Page(s):505 - 511

Figure 3.

At first I suggest to understand why you system reboots. Most likely, it
is not a disturbance to the USB, but the fields of the ESD, guided by
the current densities on the metallic parts couple into some sensitive
lines.=20

I suggest to locate those traces, and to filter these traces, probably
not the USB lines. We have good experience with the method for finding
such traces as it is outlined in

http://web.umr.edu/~davidjp/publications.html

Paper:   Finding the root cause of an ESD upset event
         Pommerenke, D; Jayong Koo, Giorigi Muchadze
         DesignCom 2006, Santa Clara, Feb. 2006

Once you know the sensitive lines I suggest analyzing them: Can you add
RC-filtering to them?  Can you change the software such that the system
does not reboot?

In my experience most of the sensitive lines are status lines. They
often can handle a 100 Ohm 50pF filter close to the receiving side of
e.g., a reset pulse.

I hope my information helps in debugging ESD problems. Please contact me
if you would like to discuss this further.

David Pommerenke

        David Pommerenke=20
        Associate Professor
        EMC laboratory
        118 EECH - University Missouri Rolla, Rolla, MO, 65409
        573 341 4531  - pommerenke@xxxxxxxxxxx