[SI-LIST] Re: (EMI)spread spectrum clocking

  • From: "Michael Poimboeuf" <Michael_Poimboeuf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <kbagga31@xxxxxxxxx>,<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:49:00 -0700

Karan,

Your definition is accurate.

I disagree with your comment about spread spectrum clocks being "less =
disturbing
subjectively for instance to broadcast audio and video programs."

In my experience, spread spectrum clocks create problems for audio and=20
video conversion, transmission and reception. For instance, when =
designing a
delta-sigma converter with an oversampled ratio of 256/1 (such as =
12.288MHz/48kHz
as used for broadcast audio), the band +-20kHz relative to 12.288MHz is =
very=20
sensitive to interference, especially modulated frequency interference. =
This
interference will appear in the audio band as heterodyned noise =
"birdies." Having
modulated clocks sweep in and out of this band is a problem. In essense, =
we=20
do frequency allocation when we design these systems and if some =
components
sweep in and out of an allocated frequency band they can create =
intermittent
interference.

I have many other examples. In fact, in broadcast quality A/V systems, =
one often
goes to great lengths to insure that all clocks in the system are =
synchronous to
a low phase noise reference. Broadcast and post production plants run =
references,=20
such as NTSC or PAL video black, or tri-level 1920x1080@24p sync and all =
systems
genlock to that clock.

While using spread spectrum techniques sometimes helps meet compliance =
limits by=20
splattering the phase of radiated and conducted emissions around below =
the fixed
bandwidth limits of the measuring equipment, it causes problems for =
audio and=20
video designers of broadcast quality systems.

---
mkp=20