[SI-LIST] Re: EMI Filters on I/O Lines & Impedance Matching

  • From: "Orin Laney" <olaney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hitheshn@xxxxxxxxx>, <HUBING@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 23:10:58 -0700

He DID explain.  A properly designed ground is a low impedance common
reference. Why on earth (pun intended) would you want to decouple from your
reference?  If you really want to "attenuate the noise", why not sever your
ground connection altogether?  For the same reason you don't do that, you
don't rationally put beads in series with ground connections either.  The
low impedance of ground is precisely the place where noise currents can flow
with least adverse effect, which results in the cleanest possible signals
referenced to it.  Isn't it the cleanliness of the signal that counts, not
ground per se?  Decoupling from ground gives only a slightly cleaner ground,
but a far noisier signal.  That ranks right up there with protecting a fuse
by ensuring that critical components blow first.

Orin