[SI-LIST] EMC/SI two hour web presentation/class

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Si-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 15:47:39 -0700

Hi All,

I have fine tuned my content and outline of a web presentation on
troubleshooting EMC issues, and even SI issues, by addressing resonances
in the physical structure of a system. Many if not most EMC and some SI
problems, in my experience, are the result of resonances.

I am thinking of holding this as a web presentation on a regular basis
(say on Friday afternoons) in addition to private presentations for my
customers (one on those coming up with 30+ people around the world
attending). If you are interested in participating, contact me
privately. There is a cost (~tens of $ depending on number attending)
but it is a small fraction of what web based classes of this length (one
to two hours) usually cost.

Here is the outline:

Electrical Resonances in Physical Structures
(A New Approach to Solving EMC Emissions and Immunity Problems)

Many system design problems result from electrical resonances in the
physical structures of the system, such as PCB construction and
mounting, heat sink construction and mounting, chassis construction,
unintended resonances of system antennas, and system cables both
internal and external. If these problems are thought of in terms of
resonances (LC and transmission lines), the problems are often more
easily found and solved. Techniques for finding, characterizing,
determining if a specific resonance is a problem or is harmless, and
fixing those resonances that are causing problems are presented.

Outline

1. How to measure resonances
◦ Direct measurements
◦ Measurements using probes
2. Examples of measurements and implications
◦ PCB plane resonance
◦ Simple BNC connector
◦ PCB mounted over metal/another board
⁃ Time domain
⁃ Frequency domain
◦ Chassis resonance and ESD performance
◦ RFID antenna (~10 MHz) spurious resonances @200 MHz and emissions
◦ Resonance on a PCB path on development PCB
◦ Heat sink resonance - EMC examples
◦ Resonance in a system cable
3. Methods to kill the Q of resonances
4. Effect of system resonances on emissions and radiated immunity
5. Effect of system resonances on ESD performance
6. Testing resonances to see if they are a problem
7. Equipment recommendations
8. Summary

      ___          _            Doug Smith
       \          / )           P.O. Box 60941
        =========               Boulder City, NV 89006-0941
     _ / \     / \ _            TEL/FAX: 702-570-6108/570-6013
   /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \          Mobile:  408-858-4528
  |  q-----( )  |  o  |         Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
   \ _ /    ]    \ _ /          Web:     http://www.dsmith.org

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: