[SI-LIST] Re: Dividing a low jitter clock by 2

  • From: "Alfred P. Neves" <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Peter zhu'" <yonghui.sky@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Mikhail Matusov'" <matusov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:43:47 -0800

Marc,

The phase noise drops 20Log(n), where n is the divider ratio, so the time
domain jitter reduces with a divider with everyone else equal.   Using a
post divider is a good way to provide an A/D with a low jitter clock to
obtain close to theoretical Effective Number of Bits, ENOB.

I used a divider for one of my consulting projects several years ago,
reducing the jitter in an ATE environment, worked really well.

In my experience, simple digital systems don't add significant jitter to PLL
based clock sources, except when there is SSO, SSN, or termination and other
SI issues are not addressed.

Alfred P. Neves      <*)))))><{

Hillsboro Office:
735 SE 16th Ave.
Hillsboro, OR, 97123
(503) 718 7172   Business
(503) 679 2429   Mobile

Main Corporate office:
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark
of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC