[SI-LIST] Re: Dielectric constant for FR4 at above 1Ghz frequency

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:34:56 -0800

Chris,

Several comments:

First, FR4 has easily been shown to work well in applications of greater
than 10 Gbps, depending upon the driver and receiver type, trace length,
whether the system is equalized, and whether the encoding is binary,
PAM4 or some other encoding scheme.

Second, in my experience, most fab houses have no clue what the actual
Er and loss tangent of the material they use is. (The fabricators that
are exceptions to this, also have a technical edge, since they
understand the electrical properties of the materialthey use.)
Additionally, they will rarely specify a different Er for different
laminate types within the stackup, as Dave Hoover showed in his post
below.  And it is rare for material vendors to actually specify the Er
of there material at more than 1 or possibly 2 frequency points, all
usually uninteresting.  These numbers are often suspect, since the
actual high frequency measurements may not have done on your particular
laminate type, and internal inductance may not have been de-embedded
from the final Er calculation.  A measurement at 5 GHz and 10 GHz is
generally necessary to obtain the Er that most closely correlates to
actual TDR impedance measurements at the incident edge of the pulse.

Finally, anyone trying to really push the limits on FR4 ought to make
measurements or have measurements made for your particular fabricator's
production process, stackup and laminates used.  There is quite a bit of
variation from fabricator to fabricator.  There are also variations when
a board is moved from a prototype fabrication line to a production
fabrication line, since different equipment and process are often used.

Best regards,

scott

--
Scott McMorrow