[SI-LIST] Re: Dielctric loss microstip/stripline

  • From: "Jian X. Zheng" <jian@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Christopher.Jakubiec@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <babid_a@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:34:24 -0800

Hi, All:

I think dielectric loss is related to the region where the E-field is
distributed. The reason for stripline to have more dielectric loss is that
both the top and bottom sides of a stripline circuit are dielectrics.
E-field is distributed in more region than a microstrip line, where only the
bottom side of the space is dielectrics. The top side of a microstrip is air
and there is little loss from it.

Microstrip                   Stripline

                           ------------------
                           //////////////////  top side
-----====--------          -----====--------
/////////////////          /////////////////   bottom side

From what I see, for IC or MMIC structures, metallic loss is much bigger
than dielectric loss. For RFIC or PCB, the dielectrics normally are very
lossy and the dielectric loss is significant.

Best regards,

Jian X. Zheng, Zeland Software, Inc.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: