[SI-LIST] Re: Details about Capacitors

  • From: John Barnes <jrbarnes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: manigandan@xxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:45:23 -0500

Manigandan,
<bias alert>
I am biased on this--because I wrote the book(s)--but I think that the
best single source of information that you will find on capacitors is
Robust Electronic Design Reference Book, chapter 8 (volume 1) and
appendix D (volume 2).  "Robust" just came out last Wednesday, March
24th (   http://www.r-e-d-inc.com/book-out.htm   ).
</bias alert>

The second best single source of information that I know of on
capacitors is   The Capacitor Handbook   by Cletus J. Kaiser, available
from CJ Publishing, 2851 West 127th Street, Olathe, KS 66061 for $15.95
plus $4.00 shipping.  Or you can buy his five-volume Discrete Library
for $75.00 with free shipping, which includes:
*  The Diode Handbook.
*  The Transistor Handbook.
*  The Capacitor Handbook.
*  The Resistor Handbook.
*  The Inductor Handbook.

Some other excellent sources of information on capacitors (references
from the end of chapter 8 of "Robust") are:
*  Harper, Charles A., Handbook of Components for Electronics.  New
   York: McGraw-Hill, 1977, pp. 7-4 to 7-6, 7-10 to 7-20, 8-1 to8-155.
*  Harper, Charles A., Passive Component Handbook, 2nd Edition.  New
   York: McGraw-Hill, 1997, pp. 69 to 203.
*  Jones, Thomas H., Electronic Components Handbook.  Reston, VA: Reston
   Publishing, 1978, pp. 1 to 77.
*  Levine, Sy, Basic Concepts and Passive Components.  Plainview, NY:
   Electro-Horizons Publications. 1986, pp. 135 to 156.
*  Sinclair, Ian, Passive Components, a user's guide.  Boston, MA:
   Newnes, 1991, pp. 91 to 126.
*  Sinclair, Ian, Passive Components for Circuit Design.  Boston, MA:
   Newnes, 2001, pp. 89 to 124.

For information sources available on the Internet, please look at my web
page "POWER DISTRIBUTION ON PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS" at
   http://www.dbicorporation.com/pwr-bib.htm
which includes URL's for many application notes, papers, design guides,
etc.

A lot of information on X2Y capacitors has just been published in the
last four months, and thus didn't make it into "Robust".  So the best
sources for information on X2Y capacitors are:
*  http://www.x2y.com/
*  http://www.amccaps.com/
*  http://www.johansondielectrics.com/
*  http://www.syfer.com/
*  http://www.yageo.com/

                John Barnes KS4GL, PE, NCE, ESDC Eng, SM IEEE
                dBi Corporation
                http://www.dbicorporation.com/

List FAQ wiki page is located at:
                http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl