[SI-LIST] Re: Designing High Voltage PCB's (1300 V)

  • From: "Orin Laney" <olaney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sughiram@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 06:32:36 -0700

You're safe in terms of arcing through the board but have much to do in
terms of trace design.  Follow IPC guidelines for spacing.  You might need
cutout slots to separate traces and components where e-field stress is
especially high. Place guard traces between HV and sensitive circuitry.
Keep HV traces short or fly HV rated wire as needed.  No corners or sharp
angles on HV traces, use wide curves instead.  Likewise make HV solder & via
pads round(er) and larger diameter.  Dry film solder mask is highly
recommended.  All of the shaping is to limit max e-field stress to well
below dielectric breakdown.  It's not absolute volts so much as volts/mm
that is important.  Mount and house the board to minimize dust accumulation
and finger access.  Be sure to silk screen HV warnings on the board!

Orin Laney