[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling Using 3-Terminal Capacitor

  • From: Himanshu Arora <ha324005@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Larry Miller <ldmiller@xxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:54:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Larry,
Thanks for your response. Originally I also thought
the both the series and parallel arrangements are the
same---prallel.

But after thinking through it with other designer I
came to the conclusion that the way to think about
these feedthrough caps is the S12 parameter....For
series arrangement S12 (between node A and VDDA) is
going to be better than the parallel arrangement case.
In other words there is going to less high frequency
noise at node A in series arrangement.

Analogy is that people always cascade the filters in
series...not sure if the parallel connection of
filters is done...!!

It is also likely that my above thinking is wrong....

Figure is attached in the text file.

Sincerely

Himanshu Arora

|--------Ferrite------------------------------------VDDA

|--------Ferrite------------------------------------VDDD

> >>     |            ----        ----
> >>     |             |         |
> >>     |             |         |
> >>                 GND        GND
> >>

> >> C2 = 2200pF (NFM21CC222R1H3)
> >> C1 = 1uF    (NFM21PC105B1A3)

> in
> >> the Subject field
> >>
> >> or to administer your membership from a web page,
> go
> >> to:
> >> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >>
> >> For help:
> >> si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the
> >> Subject field
> >>
> >> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
> >>
> >> http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ
> >>
> >> List technical documents are available at:
> >>                 http://www.si-list.org
> >>
> >> List archives are viewable at:
> >>         //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> >> or at our remote archives:

> >> Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are
> >> viewable at:
> >>          http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

> in
> >> the Subject field
> >>
> >> or to administer your membership from a web page,
> go
> >> to:
> >> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >>
> >> For help:
> >> si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the
> >> Subject field
> >>
> >> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
> >>
> >> http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ
> >>
> >> List technical documents are available at:
> >>                 http://www.si-list.org
> >>
> >> List archives are viewable at:
> >>         //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> >> or at our remote archives:

> >> Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are
> >> viewable at:
> >>          http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

=== message truncated ===

http://mail.yahoo.com

-- File: 3tcap.txt
-- Desc: 2302733855-3tcap.txt

SERIES ARRANGEMENT of C1 and C2

        VDD                     C1              C2
                           A    ----     B      ----
        |--------Ferrite------------------------------------VDDA
        |                       ----            ----
        |                        |               |
        |                        |               |

        |--------Ferrite------------------------------------VDDD
        |                       ----            ----
        |                        |               |
        |                        |               |
                                GND             GND

C2 = 2200pF (NFM21CC222R1H3)
C1 = 1uF    (NFM21PC105B1A3)

PARALLEL ARRANGEMENT of C1 and C2

                                                GND

                                                 |   C1
                                                ----
                                         ---------------
                                        |       ----    |
       VDD                              |        C2     |
        |                                       ----
        |                                       GND

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: