[SI-LIST] Decoupling Capacitors

  • From: "Gareth Baron" <Gareth.Baron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:41:47 -0700

We're trying to determine how many decoupling capacitors are needed for =
our
boards.  I hear conflicting stories about using the power planes as
decoupling vs. using lots of different values of capacitors to give a =
spread
of low impedances presented to the pins or the ICs'.

Does anyone have any good advise (experimental/empirical or just plain
knowledge) on how I should go about designing our layouts with =
decoupling in
mind ?  Any golden rules ?

BTW, I do not have buried vias in my arsenal of Engineering tricks.  =
However
I can go down to 0402 footprints if needed.

TIA,

Gareth

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: