[SI-LIST] Damaging electronic components from several meters distant!

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Si-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 16:01:31 -0700

 Hi All,
I have just posted my latest Technical Tidbit for May-June. The postings for
May and June are combined because of the time overhead of moving from Los
Gatos, CA to Boulder City, NV.

Technical Tidbit - May-June 2012
Destroying Electronic Components from Across the Room With ESD
(Today's sensitive components are really sensitive!)
This month's Technical Tidbit describes how modern sensitive components can
be damaged by an ESD event several meters away!
Abstract: Electronic components are getting smaller and more sensitive every
day, and with this comes a greater possibility of damage from electrical
stresses in the environment. Some devices are so sensitive, they can be
destroyed by an ESD event across the room because the radiated fields from
the ESD event generate enough current in wires to do this. Measurement of
currents in a one meter cable from a remote, small ESD event are presented
and related to device damage thresholds.
The link to the article is:
http://emcesd.com/tt2012/tt052212.htm[1] or
http://DesertLabRat.com/tt2012/tt052212.htm[2]

Yes, I have added a new domain name: http://DesertLabRat.com[3] which
currently points to my main website.

Registration is currently open for my upcoming seminar in Boulder City, NV
inAugust. Details at http://emcesd.com/#BoulderCity[4] .  Early registrants
get a very unique perk!

Doug -- ------------------------------------------------------- ___ _ Doug
Smith \ / ) P.O. Box 60941 ========= Boulder City, NV 89006-0941 _ / \ / \ _
TEL/FAX: 702-570-6108/570-6013 / /\ \ ] / /\ \ Mobile: 408-858-4528 |
q-----() | o | Email: doug@xxxxxxxxxx[5] \ _ / ] \ _ / Website:
http://www.dsmith.org[6]

--- Links ---
   1 http://emcesd.com/tt2012/tt052212.htm