[SI-LIST] DDR3 VTT Regulator

  • From: Praveen Jose <Praveen.Jose@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 15:15:57 +0530

Hi Techies,
I am using an SOIC with two DDR3 controllers inside for a mobile base station
application. The configuration for each controller is 32 Bit+4 Bit ECC (128MB -
4 devices for data and One for ECC). So there will be total of 10 on board DDR3
ICs.

I have choose TPS51200 for the VTT regulator and my question is
Can I use the same regulator for both the controller VTT power? Ie I am
planning to use a single TPS51200 regulator (0.75V VTT) for all 10 devices (5
each on the controller). Can anybody suggests is there any issues by connecting
like this. I searched for some application note but I could not find any
details. The calculation is as below

TPS51200- 3A Source/ Sink regulator
Current/ terminal = 0.75V/36.5= 20mA (Termination R = 36.5 Ohm)
Total no of termination lines = 26 Lines
Therefore the total current = 26 * 20 = 520mA

For two DDR3 controller the Total current requirement is = 520*2= 1040mA

Since regulator is capable of sourcing 3A can I use same regulator for both the
case? Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks,
Jose

List technical documents are available at: