[SI-LIST] Re: DDR traces across different power plane

  • From: "Pang Ning" <pangning2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Shikha soni" <iamfenta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:41:06 +0800

Steve/Shikha,
Thanks for your reply. It may cause problems as you mentioned. But I'm still
confused. Even if the high speed traces (on layer 1) cross different VCC planes
on layer 2, the ground return current of these traces will still flow on the
GND plane which is intact on layer 3. The problem that I'm worried is the
impedance discontinuous for these traces. Could you help to explain why you
think this kind of routing will cause SI issue except impedance broken? Thanks
a lot. I tried to run some simulation with SPEED2000 and didn't found serious
problems.

I thought of another routing scheme, parts of address & control traces of DDR
are routed on VCC plane. In this way, most of traces won't cross power plane.
However, there are some address trace segments which will be located above the
routing area on VCC plane. I don't know whether this kind of routing will be
better than previous one.

The bottom layer is full of DDR traces as well so it's useless to exchange VCC
and GND layers. It's a challenge that MCLK frequency need to achieve 250MHz
(DQS 500MHz).

Thanks for your help!
Best Regards,
Peter Pang