[SI-LIST] Re: Connector for LVDS

  • From: Michael_Greim@xxxxxxxx
  • To: swolcott@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:28:25 -0600

Hi Steve,

Well there are number of ways to skin this
cat.   The reason that I say that is that given
short runs this link could work with any number
of connectors.  I have seen folks run lvds signals
through Din, cpci, pci, mictor etc connectors and the link
still hold together.  With my perfect world SI hat
on, I might advise you to specify a connector that
provides 100 ohm differential impedance where every
pair is shielded from the other pairs.  Most of the
connector mfgs have connectors of this sort, AMP/Tyco,
Teradyne, Molex, Fuji takimisawa, are examples of
this.   You could also specify insertion and reflection
loss for the connector.  You could also specify a
crosstalk budget.  For alot of folks cost is a driving
factor as these differential optimized connectors
can be costlyish on a per link basis compared to say
a edge finger connector.

Then again you could just pick your personal favorite
connector, run a coupled spice sim, and if the eye
looks good, just specify that connector.

Depending on your system needs, the connector can
be specified in any number of ways but given your
short links you will probably be able to use a
loosely spec'd inexpensive connector and have things
work just fine.

I hope that this is somewhat helpful.

best regards,

Michael Greim