[SI-LIST] Re: Conductivity for FR4

  • From: "Joachim Mueller" <jmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 08:38:13 +0100

The problem with conductivity is that it scales with frequency. Your
2.5Gbit signal has frequency components from zero to 1/(PI *rise time). In
Ansoft SI2D (I am assuming this is the field solver you are using)  the
problem is, that you can not define functions with frequency dependent
variables. I ended up to define conductivity and permittivity of FR4 as
constant variables and swept the value of them in 31 individual setups vs.
frequency.  This will provide you with 31 simulation runs, each at a
specific frequency, using the correct conductivity and permittivity. The
results of this can than be extracted and converted into a tabular W
Element for Hspice.

It would be much easier if Ansoft would allow the definition of loss
tangent rather than conductivity for dielectrics. Also the definition of
frequency dependent variables (like conductivity) would simplify the effort
a lot.

cheers

Joachim

-- - --
Joachim Mueller
EMC/SI-Engineer, W.L.Gore & Associates

Nordring 1
91785 Pleinfeld
Germany
Phone: +49 9144 6016368
Email: joachim_mueller@xxxxxxxxxx

                    Alfredo.Moncayo@in

                    fineon.com               To:     si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    Sent by:                 cc:

                    si-list-bounce@fre       Subject:     [SI-LIST] Re:
Conductivity for FR4
                    elists.org

                    06.11.01 23:43

                    Please respond to

                    Alfredo.Moncayo

That has worked well for me.  I haven't methodically gone through
and determined the effect of the frequency term in the end result,
but so far have achieved very good correlation when using 3x the
base rate of the signal that would be used on the interconnect.

Alfredo

List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: