[SI-LIST] Re: CDR with SJ > 1UI

  • From: "T.K. Jeon" <tkjeon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx" <ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx>, SI-LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 18:55:49 -0800

Hi Vinod,

It doesn't matter if the data eye is closed due to just phase variations. The
data signal still has transitions even if SJ is more than 1UI and CDR can take
those transitions and recover the clock. If the eye closure was due to ISI or
other amplitude noise, that's a different story.

The tolerable amplitude of SJ is like this: Let's say the loop feedback gain of
your CDR is unity and the loop transmission is G(s), then the transfer function
of the CDR is Phi_clk/Phi_data = G(s)/(1+G(s)).

Thus, the transfer function of your overall Rx block will be
(Phi_clk-Phi_data)/Phi_data = 1- (Phi_clk/Phi_data) = 1/(1+G(s)).

Based on the above equation, Phi_data(max) = (1+G(s))(Phi_data-Phi_clk) =
(1+G(s))*2*pi*(1-T_delta) = (1+G(s))*(1-T_delta) in UI unit, where T_delta is
the untracked jitter from CDR.

Keep in mind here that the G(s) includes gains from a phase detector and an
integrator with LPF, hence the amplitude of Phi_data(max) can be more than 1UI
at very low frequencies.

Best Regards,
TK