[SI-LIST] Re: Buried capacitance layer; ? Area to use? Use with discrete caps?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ken Cantrell <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 07:30:06 -0700

Ken, no the characteristic impedance is a function of thickness and eR.
Below modal resonances, using the same resin / glass proportions a 40mil
cavity has 10X the impedance of the same shape 4mil cavity.  At the
modal resonances the Q of the 40 mil cavity is much higher than that of
the 4mil cavity making the impedance peaks much worse than 10X.  Istvan
notes that once the cavity gets down to about 0.3mils that the modal
peaks are essentially fully suppressed.

The minima are a result of wave modes that depend on the size, shape and
eR of the cavity ( until you get really thin and then skin resistance
and tangent loss shift the frequency downward further ), and the probe
point location.

Best Regards,

Steve.

List technical documents are available at: