[SI-LIST] Re: Buffering 125MHz GMII signals

  • From: "Henrik G. Madsen" <hgm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <samir.gundawar@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:58:25 +0200

Hi Samir

Use a better MAC or ... ;-)

You can use a simple 74LVCH16374 or similar device to buffer the data, =
and a small zero delay clock buffer for the clock.
The output of the clock buffer should clock the xxx16374 and the =
receiver.

By using this approach you are changing the timing of the GMII data from =
a t(su) and t(h) compared to the rising edge of the clock to a t(pd) =
compared to the rising edge.

The skew between the individual outputs does not matter in the above =
approach.

The delay through the flip-flop should be short enough not to violate =
the required setup time at the receiver and long enough not to violate =
the hold time at the receiver.

Most newer xxx16374 has a specified min and max t(pd).

Regards
/Henrik G Madsen