[SI-LIST] Re: Best Method to measure Characteristic Impedance on a PCB Board

  • From: V S <for_si2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shiraz_bashir@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 06:04:50 -0800 (PST)

The best method I believe is to use Time Domain
Reflectometry ( TDR ).

Vector Network Analyzer is yet another way to
characreize the PCB impedance.

The PCB manufacturer, if requested, may give a test
result of the trace impedance for a known trace width.

If the TX and RX on the PC is up and running and TX
has a fast rising edge , I believe , by characterizing
on a Oscilloscope , the Rx signal and correlating it
with simulation can be another way. Using simulation
we can find the difference in signal quality at the
receiving end at say 70 Ohm, 100 ohm and 130 Ohm. If
your signal measure on PCB matches more closely to the
one at simulated signal at 100 Ohm rather than those
at 70 or 130 Ohm , the PCB is probably at 100.

Others may point out some more alternatives.

--- Shiraz Bashir <shiraz_bashir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My design requires 100 ohm characteristic Impedance
> between a Tx and Rx IC on a PCB Board. Now we had
> designed for that,
>
> But what is the best method to measure it ?
>
> Thanks,
> shiraz

> the Subject field
>
> or to administer your membership from a web page, go
> to:

> si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the
> Subject field
>
> List archives are viewable at:
> Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are
> viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: