[SI-LIST] Assembly holes in PCB with GND pad

  • From: Augusto Einsfeldt <aee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 16:28:03 +0000

Hello all,
This maybe an OT but I guess some members here can clarify it easily.
I am used to use mettalized holes in PCBs to connect the GND to the assembly
chassis (frame) of the machine and it seems to work fine. In the other hand I
have seen many PCBs for computer mother-boards and even telecom with a non
mettalized hole of, say, 3mm diameter and several through holes inside the pad
ring.
Is it just to ease some manufacturing process, a quality improvement design or
is it SI related?

Thanks for your time on this matter.

-Augusto

.