[SI-LIST] Re: Altera PDN Tool

  • From: "Allen Mayar/EXTON/USA/SALES/KEMET/US" <allenmayar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Leonard Dieguez <ldieguez@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:46:25 -0400

At one time, the industry accepted that ESL was constant with frequency,=20
but we now know that is not true.  We did see that the inductance varied=20
with measuring the mounted capacitor as opposed to the fixtured component, =

and for the most of the manufacturers, the measurements are on mounted=20
components as this represents the use conditions.

In the higher capacitance structures, we've been able to see that=20
inductance decreases to some asymptotic level (depending on case size)=20
that we were not able to measure with lower values.  Because of this,=20
where the manufacturer measures the ESL may also introduce additional=20
variance between their ratings for similar devices.  Some measure the ESL=20
at self-resonance (higher ESLs as KEMET reports) and others measure well=20
above self-resonance"lower is better".  If a manufacturer specifies an ESL =

for all capacitance values in a case size as constant, then  they are=20
using the ESL well above self-resonance.  There are cases where this is=20
true, and in their catalogs, they'll include Impedance versus Frequency=20
value, and the self-resonance of the Impedance plot, the derived ESL does=20
not match the "claimed" ESL.

The fact is that both of these are incorrect.  The ESL does decay from the =

self-resonant frequency to well above this frequency.  The theory is that=20
at self-resonance, the current is spread fairly evenly through the height=20
of the chip, but as frequency increases, the loop compresses until the=20
current is compressed into a minimized loop in the component.  The=20
discrepancies in low frequency ESL and high frequency ESL is greatest for=20
those components utilizing the full height of the chip for the electrodes=20
(higher capacitance).

Within the next six months, we will be introducing a variable ESL  model=20
in our Spice program, concentrating on the higher capacitance values at=20
first. Attached is a layout of the model which incorporates an "RL"=20
circuit in place of a single, fixed "L" component which will simulate this =

decaying ESL.  In lower frequencies the ESL is based on a summation of L1=20
through L4, but in higher frequencies, L1 and L2 are the only inductive=20
elements, with L1 representing the termination and pad inductances.  The=20
parallel resonance is factored by L2 and C2, and a secondary series=20
resonance by L1 and C2.  Instead of replacing the existing model, this=20
model may be optional to the existing model.

=20

From:
Leonard Dieguez <ldieguez@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:
Joel Brown <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"=20
<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc:
John Oh <JOH@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
07/21/2009 01:35 PM
Subject:
[SI-LIST] Re: Altera PDN Tool
Sent by:
si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joel,

I'm not 100 % sure what manufacturer was used when those values where=20
input to the tool but probably AVX or Murata. The values do not represent=20
the mounting inductance since the tool calculates that depending on the=20
mounting style and dimensions that are input to the tool. You can also=20
change your library or use "user values" for ESL /ESR. As with any other=20
EDA tool Garbage in equals garbage out. So check the values for the caps=20
that you are actually using and also check things like the stack up=20
heights Via placement and diameters and trace widths.

Leonard Dieguez
High Speed IO Applications,
Altera Corporation
9330 Scranton Road, Suite 400
San Diego, CA 92121
ldieguez@xxxxxxxxxx
858.202.3511 (office)
"There are two kinds of engineers - those who have signal integrity=20
problems, and those who will." - Eric Bogatin.