[SI-LIST] Re: Adding trace length for timing adjustment

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 18:54:21 -0700

First, a question of mine (for anybody): is there some theory that =
declares that the effect I describe below (coupling across serpentine =
legs causes part of the wave to bypass the serpentine) is zero in =
stripline?

Now that I've asked that, here's some of what I've found:
________________________________

No intense research here, but I did TDR the Front-Side Bus of a product =
board that had a variety of serpentine types (a few loooong legs, many =
short legs, some in-between), and here's what I found.

Conclusions:
1.      Serpentining was >80% effective on this Front Side Bus (FSB).  I.E., =
we achieved at least 80% of the expected delay from serpentines.
2.      Vp variation due to serpentining induced about 30pS of skew on this =
3", 50ohm bus.
3.      A few long legs of serpentining were better than several short ones.
4.      There won't be any "Rules of Thumb" which will easily describe the =
issue (how effective are serpentines?).  When we need to worry about pS, =
simulations have to be performed on expected worst-case nets.

Other Notes
1.      Only layer 1 was represented here.  The effects have been less on =
stripline.
2.      The dielectric is 4mils thick; serpentine legs are separated by =
20mils center to center (same as trace-to-trace separation); trace width =
=3D 7mils.=09

Some general conclusions of mine:
Increasing trace length with serpentines (AKA "meanders") does not give =
an increase in flight-time directly proportional to the increase in =
trace length. Coupling across the serpentine legs causes part of the =
wave to bypass the serpentine (I would refer to it as a "barreling =
through the switchbacks" phenomena), reducing the flight-time. The =
speed-up effects are reproducible in simulations and seem to be only =
weakly tied to rise-time.=20

The effect can be lessened by separating serpentine legs, or routing in =
stripline. A "flat spiral" (AKA "bifilar spiral") is an option mentioned =
in some papers, but my experience with it has shown it to be terrible, =
S.I.-wise.

Take pains to avoid serpentines - they're not free.=20

If serpentining is necessary, keep the adjacent traces far apart - =
perhaps an S/H (trace separation to dielectric thickness) ratio of about =
5 to 1.=20

Routing in stripline reduces the effect.

Jeff Loyer