[SI-LIST] Re: Adapting the Metallic Transmission (UTP modelling) Part 3 (mistake in part 2)

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Chris Chalmers" <cchalmers@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Si-List@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:26:48 -0700

Hi Chris,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.  I'm a little short on time this
week, as we just finished filming a double-feature movie for a
transceiver-chip client and now (finally) I've got a moment to look at your
mail.

Here's the scoop.

(1) Use the R0 value (1.253 ohm/meter ) from the optimized table of values,
p. 463. The values in table 8.3 (p. 463) are optimized to match the
worst-case EIA specification. If you try to calculate R0 from first
principles you will undoubtedly get a better answer because you will
probably be using the NOMINAL PARAMETER VALUES (like AWG24) rather than the
worst case values. Real cables aren't actually exactly 24-gauge.

(2) The Z0 value can vary from 85 to 115 ohms. You get the worst performace
at 85. Use that.

(3) Those two changes alone bring your AC resistance calculation to
4.34*(1.253/85)*sqrt(100/10) = 0.202 dB/m

(4) Now add dielectric loss, using the optimized values from p. 463 --
    theta=.001153
    w = 2*pi*100E+06
    v0 = 0.6*(2.998E+08)  (where 2.998E+08 is the speed of light is a
vacuum, m/s)

     4.34*((theta*w)/v0) = 0.017  dB/m

(5) adding these values and multiplying times 100m produces
(0.202+0.017)*100m = 21.9 dB/m, pretty much spot-on with the spec value (22
dB/m) and with the graph on page 464.

About the calculation of resistive loss, because we are well above the onset
of the skin effect I can get away with ignoring the DC losses -- don't add
them back in. This issue is discussed starting on page 70.

About the calculation of dielectric loss, because we have a pretty low-loss
dielectric material here, and because we aren't extrapolating very far from
the AC specification frequency omega-zero, you can ignore the exponential
correction term (this issue is discussed at the top of page 209).

As you can see both the skin and dielectric loss were important in this
calculation.  If you want accuracy, that's usually the case.
Best regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson, Signal Consulting Inc.,
tel +1 509-997-0505,  howie03@xxxxxxxxxx
http:\\sigcon.com  -- High-Speed Digital Design seminars, books, and
articles