[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Wiring Harnessing SI Question

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx, "movax@xxxxxxxxx" <movax@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:15:57 -0500

I think return current vs signal reference is just two different
viewpoints of the same thing...

First I would verify the signal rise and fall times: in these days
low-frequency data
transfer does not necessarily mean that the corresponding edges will be
proportionally
slower. Though your situation looks quite extreme, a first-cut check
still would give
you good guidance: if the round trip delay through the entire signal
path is less
than ten percent of the rise time, likely that reflection and
termination (or the
lack of) is not the cause. Assuming that this is the case, you would
not need 3D
or distributed models, rather you would need lumped LC matrices
describing the
coupling among the wires. You could then use simple hand calculations or a
circuit simulator to find out the noise on a victim line.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle

On 11/26/2015 4:01 AM, Havermann, Gert wrote:

Don't think too much about Return currents, your Problem is signal reference.
When conductors are floating free, then especially the clock signals will
couple into every conductor that is close enough to couple (Clock has the
highest frequency content especially with fast rising edges). Depending on
cable length and relative position clock will strongly couple into other
lines (Data or different Clocks). You should be able to see those using an
simple scope with high impedance Probes. The easiest way to improve your
system is to use either coaxial or paired Cable including a solid reference
(GND) or to use much thicker cable isolation (or different wire harnesses) to
add distance between the signal wire and other wires. In a multi wire Cable,
you can separate these wires by assigning wires optimally, but for free wire
harness that’s a problem.

BR
Gert

Besuchen Sie uns auf der SPS/IPC/DRIVES 2015 vom 24. bis 26. November 2015 in
Halle 10, Stand 140.
Entdecken Sie unsere Ideen und Lösungen zu Integrated Industry - „HAII4YOU –
HARTING Integrated Industry 4 You“. http://www.HARTING.de/SPS

Absender ist HARTING KGaA; Marienwerderstraße 3, D-32339 Espelkamp;
Registergericht: Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRB 8809; Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrats: Dipl.-Kfm. Jörg Selchow; persönlich haftende Gesellschafter:
Dipl.-Kfm. Dr.-Ing. E.h. Dietmar Harting, Philip F.W. Harting, Maresa
Harting-Hertz; HARTING WiMa AG (Luxemburg) & Co. KG, HARTING Beteiligungs
GmbH & Co. KG; Generalbevollmächtigte Gesellschafterin: Dipl.-Hdl. Margrit
Harting