[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Re: Reference layers for high speed diff p

  • From: Sen Velmurugan <sen.velmurugan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 11:45:13 -0800

I like to put some  more 3D mindset on this in the 2D email. The
localization of issue needs to be more fine grain. So I want to put
forward my thinking and understanding.

The questions should not be "Quite GND plane",  The question should be
"Quite signal Ref plane SEGMENT" and low impedance return  path for your
signal path. When there is a high magnitude return current in  the
adjacent segment, your signal's reference segment experience crosstalk
degradation. So a field solver WHICH see such situation can help you to
know your margin.

I don't know which filed solver simulates the adjacent segment current
flow. For example if there is DC-DC converter GND as the adjacent GND
segment for your reference segment ?
But for a group of parallel traces in a bus, it can do an SSO simulation.
But how about the circuit on the other side of the GND plane, how much
return current they are pumping ? Then, Is it OK to stitch two GND
planes in that vicinity for multi multi layer PCB.
So, the reference segment for signal  is affected by adjacent segments
circuit on top and bottom of the PCB. That's why we try to use more and
more GND layers in a PCB.

Also, GND plane is a universal reference plane but DEPENDING on the I/O
driver construction it's power plane can be used as a
reference(DDR,SSTL). But power plane is generated by a power source,
many circuits contend for its energy, so it is not at steady potential
(ripple, droop), so it is not a steady reference as a whole and it has
segment effect as explained above.  Hence SI margin is more with GND
even when the PI of the power plane is great. As such does PI tool
models the power source the way it will behave ?

So your reference segment's absolute E&M wave magnitude and its phase
w.r.t signal matters. So
there is no "Reference point" available or needed to measure noise on
the GND segment.
~Sen

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: