[SI-LIST] AW: Re: HFSS or CST

  • From: "Lenkisch, Andreas" <Andreas.Lenkisch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Hall, Stephen H" <stephen.h.hall@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:32:23 -0500

Stephen,
when you make a direct comparison as described, than you should consider both
time and frequency domain. I could imagine, the results would be different when
you look at the time domain.
And compare also simulation run time for the same geometry.

Having both would be probably not bad . . .but that's a question for a huge
wallet...
Bruce Archambeault from IBM has answered to the question, how he would verify
simulation results, "take another simulator. And when you are not sure, take
another again", and so on . . .
3D modelling software do a physical and mathematical approach of solving
Maxwells equations. The approaches are different and can be better for one
problem and not so good for another question.

As recommended, taking an eval version for deep testing for the specific
problems is a good way to find the appropriate tool.
Four weeks may be a short time for testing a very complex software and if you
have not so much experience in 3D modelling. There are very cheap packages for
simpler geometries where you can learn to how to deal with a 3D problem. See
eg. at Sonnet and Simberian.

Andreas