[SI-LIST] AW: Re: Frequency components of high speed serial channels

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mrose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mrose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "orphanou@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <orphanou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Peter.Pupalaikis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Peter.Pupalaikis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "joel@xxxxxxxxxx" <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 09:12:42 +0000

No Silly question at all. Very basic, but not silly.

Taking only the Receiver bandwidth into account is silly as you block high
frequency effects from happening in you simulation and you will be surprised
when they hit you in reality.

The bandwidth of the Transmitter (based on its risetime) is what will be fed
into the real channel. The channel will create non linear frequency dependent
reflections, dispersion and loss, and all that will make the signal look
different at the receiver. Especially xtalk is higher at higher frequencies.
Not taking those frequencies into account when designing the channel means
ignoring its existence and influence, and this is what makes Murphy's Law so
popular.

BR
Gert

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH, Marienwerderstraße 3, D-32339 Espelkamp;
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRB 8808;
Vertretungsberechtigte Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Kfm. Edgar-Peter Düning,
Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Ratzmann, Dipl.-Wirtschaftsing. Ralf Martin Klein