[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Re: AC coupling Caps -- High Speed Serdes

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 08:09:50 +0200

Hello,

It is somehow the same, but I change my personal naming since quite a
while to "DC-Blocking" caps, as this is naming seems to fit the purpose
better.
For discussions with customers this somehow simplifies life a little bit ..

Hermann

Our next Events:
Seminar "Open the Black Box of Memory" (17.-18.08.2015 and 20.-21.08.2015) in
Penang and Bangalore

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Hermann Ruckerbauer
www.EyeKnowHow.de
Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Itzlinger Strasse 21a
94469 Deggendorf
Tel.: +49 (0)991 / 29 69 29 05
Mobile: +49 (0)176 / 787 787 77
Fax: +49 (0)3212 / 121 9008

Am 11.06.2015 um 09:06 schrieb Havermann, Gert:

Hi Savi,
the Name "AC Coupling Cap" already contains the answer to your question about
why we need them. Coupling AC means blocking DC. For removable electronics
the main purpose is protection to block DC currents when TX and RX are on
different DC Levels while mating. But they are also helpful on large boards
with DC drops in Power distribution. Some Silicon does react on these DC
differences.

BR
Gert