[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Bandwitdh of Balun

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 14:59:22 -0800

At 5GHz it doesn't take much parasitic capacitance to unbalance a balun.

Steve
On 1/9/2014 10:13 AM, sunil bharadwaz wrote:
> Thanks Steve & Gert ,
> I have made a board to check the Balun alone . No other components are there
> , except the
> Balun itself & three SMA connectors .However , i have used a 4 layer layout (
> with  full
> continuous Gnd plane , in the Layer-2 ) . My 50 ohm lines are 15 mil wide CPW
> lines with
> Gnd away by 18 mil on each side. My return loss is fine in the 400 Mhz band .
> However ,
> the Vendors reference board uses a two layer layout ( with obviously thicker
> traces ).
> The return loss on the Vendor's board holds good for about 800 Mhz .Should i
> try doing
> a 2 layer layout . Does it help Band width in any way ? Or does thicker
> dielectric between
> the L1 & Gnd plane in L2 help the Band width in any way ?
>
> Hi Steve , How does etching on L1 & L2 effect the Band width  ? ( I'am
> referring to your comment).
> Pls help me understand your comment better .
>

> Regards
> Sunil.B
>

> On Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:26 PM, "Havermann, Gert"
> <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Look for return currents and split planes. In case of 2 Layer design a split
> plane may be hard to find as it belongs to the position of the GND vias.
> And check if the Balun is the source of the error or if it is some other
> component. Check by simply replacing the Balun with terminating resistors.
>
> BR
> Gert

> Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH, Marienwerderstraße 3, D-32339
> Espelkamp; Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRB
> 8808; Vertretungsberechtige Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Kfm. Edgar-Peter Düning,
> Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Ratzmann, Dipl.-Wirtschaftsing. Ralf Martin Klein

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
1580 Grand Point Way
MS 34689
Reno, NV  89523-9998
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2013 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: